Sunday, August 27, 2017

Really Good Stuff!

I was up early this morning and on my way back to the airport.  This trip was a little different because Beth wasn't with me.  In spite of that I was excited for where I was going, who I'd be seeing and what we'd be doing.  I was catching a flight to St. Louis.  I'd be meeting Ben and we'd be embarking on a "mini" baseball trip.  Today it was the Rays and Cardinals (more on that in a minute).  Tomorrow it's on to Kansas City for the Rays and Royals. In the past we had done several "whole family" baseball trips.  It was a blast having the whole family together for them.  Adulthood for Ben and Sarah and everything that goes with it has made it pretty much impossible for all of us to pull these off anymore.  Hopefully down the line there will be opportunities.  So today it was just Ben and I and a "mini baseball trip".
On the plane I noticed a young boy and his dad.  It was pretty obvious by the Rays shirts and hats that they were wearing that they were on their way to the game as well.  I told the boy that I bet I knew where he was going.  His dad broke into a big grin and shared with me that it was a baseball trip for his 10th birthday.  They really got a kick out of me telling them that me and my son were on a baseball trip as well but that my son had a few years on him (19 to be exact).  As we were getting off the plane Ben was there waiting on me so they were able to briefly meet.  We saw them at the game and it looked like they were having a blast.  Really good stuff!
As far as the game, it was a good one.  Chris Archer pitched seven great innings and left the game with the Rays leading 2-1.  Two pitches into the eighth inning and the Cardinals hit a homerun to tie it up.  The Rays have seemed to magically snatch defeat from the hands of victory numerous times over the season.  Ben and I were convinced that we were about to see it happen again.  Some how, some way it didn't happen today.  A home run by Logan Morrison (his second of the day) and the Cardinal fans were soon on their way home with a loss.  Ben and I high fived each other as if we were responsible for the Rays victory.  Good stuff!  But the really good stuff, a 10 year old there with his dad and a 29 year old there with his dad.............Really Good Stuff!


Happy Rays Fans!

Rays Outfield Celebrating the Victory!

A Post Victory Meal

Gateway to the West!